Hiring movers vs DIY relocation
As one of the finest moving companies NYC, we provide you with a seamless relocation experience!
GET A FREE QUOTE
Moving is always a stressful and complicated process. For this reason, you can either organize a move on your own or seek professional help. However, just like with anything in life, there are pros and cons to these both options. This means you should read about both solutions before deciding between hiring movers vs DIY relocation. Depending on your situation, how many items you have, which items you have, and how far you are moving, read this article so you can make a final decision.
Hiring movers vs DIY relocation – pros of hiring movers
First things first, you should read about all the advantages of hiring movers. Only then you can be closer to choosing between hiring movers vs DIY relocation.
Less stress – as it was already mentioned, moving is quite stressful. For this reason, you should hire professionals as they will know how to solve all the major problems. Your only task would be to pack your items and seal the boxes. In addition to this, you do not have to pack your items if you add packing services to your bill.
No heavy lifting – if you are moving your entire household, then you will have to move your large and heavy items. In order to avoid this unpleasant task, hire movers. They will bring the necessary moving equipment and carry all the large pieces of furniture.
One thing that you can expect from professional movers is efficiency. They have the necessary experience, moving equipment, and knowledge. For this reason, they are capable of solving all the problems. They can even help you to organize some parts of your move if you do not know how to do it. In addition to this, if you are moving long-distance, then you should hire movers. Anything can happen during the long journey so it is better to have professionals take care of your items.
Hiring movers vs DIY relocation – cons of hiring movers
There are a couple of disadvantages to hiring movers.
- Fraudulent movers – unfortunately, there are many fraudulent movers on the market. In order to avoid hiring them, make sure they have a license issued either by the FMCSA or the BBB. In addition to this, you should read moving reviews as well as they can help you in making a final decision.
- Little flexibility – once you book the moving services, you have to have everything ready by the time your movers come for your items. In addition to this, if you can, be sure to avoid summer relocations. This is the time when moving companies are the busiest so you have even less flexibility when it comes to choosing your moving date.
Costs of professional moving
Professional moving services are not cheap, especially if you are moving internationally. The average hourly rate is around $200 an hour. Usually, movers need at least four hours to finish their tasks. You can do the math on your own. In addition to this, if you see a moving company that offers their services at a much lower price, do not fall for it. Those are most likely frauds who will either take more money than you thought or disappear with your items. Lastly, if your move requires special services, this will cost more. For this reason, make sure to ask your movers about all the hidden costs and fees.
Hiring movers vs DIY relocation – pros of a DIY relocation
It is not easy to choose between hiring movers vs DIY relocation if you only know the pros and cons of movers. For this reason, here are some advantages of DIY relocation.
- Full control – when you are organizing a DIY relocation, you can decide on everything. You can pick the packing materials, a moving truck, moving date, and so on. In addition to this, you can ask your friends and family to help you. You can also take it slowly since you do not have to worry about movers coming to pick up your items.
- Packing is your choice – you can pack your items the way you want. You do not have to follow the movers’ guidelines. However, you should still make sure your items are well-protected.
As you can see, moving is expensive. If you cannot save money for the relocation, a DIY move is a better option. You can slowly organize your move, use packing material that you have, and ask for help. This means you can also take time to save money for your moving budget. In addition to this, you do not have to worry about the costs of professional moving services. You can even find moving boxes for free. Maybe one of your friends has a truck that you can borrow so you can save a lot of money.
Hiring movers vs DIY relocation – cons of DIY move
A DIY move is not perfect either for several reasons.
- Heavy and large items – since it is a DIY move, you will have to carry heavy and large items. You can easily drop some pieces and cause property damage. In addition to this, you can also injure yourself.
- Planning – some aspects of your move are difficult to plan. These include carrying large and heavy items down the stairs, or those same items cannot fit through doors so you have to find the other path.
- Unexpected problems – if you happen to damage some items, you will have to pay for repairs since it is your fault. You also cannot claim the insurance since you did not hire movers.
The final decision – hiring movers vs DIY relocation
Which one to choose between hiring movers vs DIY relocation? This depends on your preference and on your situation. If you know how to organize a move, then a DIY relocation is for you. On the other hand, if you feel like you cannot handle the organization on your own, then hire movers.