As one of the finest moving companies NYC, we provide you with a seamless relocation experience!
GET A FREE QUOTE
Moving Local Checklist
With the help from MOVAGE moving and this easy to follow moving checklist, you’ll be on your way to the most relaxed move you’ve ever made! Feel free to call us with any questions or requests. We recommend printing it and keeping it on-hand throughout your entire move.
You can download this checklist here
1 month before your moving day:
- Call Movage and set a date for one of our relocation coordinator to perform a visually survey of your home/apt and prepare a flat rate moving quote.
- Submit change of address form to the Post Office.
- If you are moving out of or into a building with elevators, contact the building management to schedule use of the elevators and check if the Certificate of Liability Insurance is needed.
- Notify these utility services of your move (both at your old and new locations):
– Cable/Satellite and internet
– Trash Collection
However, remember to keep phone and utilities connected at your current home throughout moving day.
- Notify these services/accounts of your move:
– Credit Card Companies
– Auto Finance Company
– Bank/Finance Companies
– Home care service providers (lawn, exterminator, snow removal etc.)
– Monthly memberships (Health Club, Magazines, Newspaper, etc)
Notify these government offices of your move:
– State Vehicle Registration
– State/Federal Tax Bureau (IRS)
– Social Security Administration
- Check on the quarantine laws regarding taking pets to your new destination.
2-3 weeks before your moving day:
- Do you want to do packing of the boxes yourself and keep your move little more cost-effective or will you have it done by our experienced packers? Our relocation coordinator will be happy to discuss full packing services with you.
- Call your relocation coordinator and arrange purchase and delivery of moving boxes and necessary packing supplies.
- Make arrangements to disassemble specialty items such as swing sets, trampolines, etc.
- Start to use up things you can’t move, such as frozen foods and cleaning supplies.
- Begin packing non-essential items.
Note: Federal law requires disposing of flammables, corrosives, cleaning fluids, matches, acid aerosol cans and poisons. Discard partly used cans of oil, paint, thinner, bleach, or any other substances that may be flammable or combustible or those stored in containers that may leak.
- Label boxes by writing the destination room on the top and sides of each moving box to ensure it gets to the right place in your new home.
- Notify your relocation coordinator if you add or subtract items from your planned move or if there are any changes in dates or any extra stops required picking up or delivering goods.
1 week before your moving day:
- Decide what to do with house plants and make arrangements for pets.
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator at least 24 hours before the move.
- Drain water hoses and waterbeds.
- Fill any prescriptions you will need during the move.
- Set aside boxes/items that you are moving yourself (make sure they are labeled as well)
- Remove all permanently affixed items from walls and ceiling that you wish to move (chandeliers, drapes, ceiling fans, lighting fixtures, etc.).
- Tipping the movers is up to the customers. If you do decide to tip set aside cash.
- Isolate your keys, wallet, passport, plane tickets and prescription medications. These items should travel with you.
- Read your Bill of Lading (contract) and inventory carefully before you sign them. Keep these and all related papers in a safe location.
- Point out to the movers any extra-fragile items that need special attention.
- If you are doing your own packing, make sure everything is ready to go when the movers arrive.
- It is your responsibility to see that all of your goods are loaded, so remain on the premises until loading is complete. After making a final tour of the house, check and sign the inventory.
- Be on hand to accept delivery. If you cannot be there personally, be sure you authorize an adult to be your representative to accept delivery and pay the charges for you. Our movers will contact you by phone before the delivery.
- Check the items and the inventory list as items are being unloaded into your home. If there is any damage that is not noted on the inventory list at the time of loading or if any items are missing, note discrepancies on the inventory list. By signing the inventory list, you are acknowledging receipt of all items listed. Personally report any loss or damage to your relocation coordinator.
- When unloading, each piece of furniture will be placed as you direct the crew. However, appliances and/or fixtures will NOT be installed.