Moving to Canada
As one of the finest moving companies NYC, we provide you with a seamless relocation experience!
GET A FREE QUOTE
Canada has been one of the favorite countries for people from around the world to come and work or for permanent living destination. But, this should be kept in mind that every country has its own laws that govern the people within that geographical boundary. So, before moving to a different country, one should definitely keep a track of the rules and regulations that must be followed in that country.
We at Movage International, guide and help our clients with the proper needs and the formalities to be undertaken. Having a good experience with the international moves, our experts are well-versed with almost everything and also keep a track of the changes in the legislations. Here is a list of few important documents that are needed with particular items to be imported to Canada. Just check that you have ticked those documents before you are ready to move.
Documents Needed for Household Goods:
- A copy of passport is required and only photograph page will work absolutely fine.
- 1 Year proof of residence abroad. This might involve income tax statements, bank statements or even rent receipts etc. for the returning Canadians
- A list of the detailed inventory or items either in English or French
- Work permit or the student-visa, as applicable
- Original Copy of the Bill of Lading
- If applicable, there must be the immigration papers with the person
Note: The owner of the goods must be present in person for the custom clearance of the goods or a licensed broker could handle the task. The customs might ask for the valuation of shipment from the returning Canadian citizens. There are many restrictions even for the household goods like they cannot be sold for a minimum period of 12 months.
Documents Needed for Motor Vehicle:
- Photo page of the Passport
- Bill of Lading (Original copy)
- Original copy of document proving the ownership
- Insurance proof of the vehicle with the previous registration
- Taking consideration into the environment, it must pass the Canadian Safety and Pollution Standards Test
Note: For the duty and tax relief, the vehicle must have been owned and used for a minimum time period of 6 months. For the people coming on a work permit or a student visa, the vehicle will be exported back after the completion of the visa duration. The vehicle will also be imported duty-free for the duration of the visa. A vehicle can be licensed in Canada only after a clearance from the Canadian customs.
Antiques, Paintings and Artifacts:
There are different regulations for antiques that are imported to Canada for resale. On the other hand, if they are a part of the household products, no documents are required to import it into Canada. The proof of age will be needed in case the item is over 100 years of age.
Restricted/ Dutiable items:
- Import of wine cannot be done from October to March because of the possibility of freezing
- Pornographic Materials
- There are duties and taxes on the import of tobacco products
- Hunting Trophies
- Any item which costs over $10,000 will be liable for the duties and taxes taxes.
- Live Plants
- Fruits and vegetables
- Narcotics and Drugs
- Live Explosives and other Ammunition
Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While Movage has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, Movage makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.