Tips for moving while raining in NYC
As one of the finest moving companies NYC, we provide you with a seamless relocation experience!
GET A FREE QUOTE
Sometimes, we have to relocate in really bad weather. This includes rain of any magnitude. That is just the way it is and there is nothing we can do about it. However, what we can do is to properly prepare for moving while raining in NYC. Of course, you will want the help from the best movers NYC if it is raining. Other than that, let’s see what you can do!
Tips for moving while raining in NYC!
Here are some tips on what you need to do if you want the best moving experience in the rain:
- First things first – protect yourself and your movers
- How to protect your belongings?
- Should you use cardboard boxes for moving while raining in NYC?
- Don’t forget to protect your floors when moving while raining in NYC
First things first – protect yourself and your movers
This will be your number one priority. The safety of your movers and anyone else that is helping with the relocation is of paramount importance. You will want to make sure that everyone has proper clothing available, such as boots or sneakers with rubber soles. They will also need rain jackets.
On the subject of clothing, you will want to avoid anything made out of cotton or heavy sweaters. These things soak a lot of water really fast and will burden you a lot more when they do. Not having proper attire for the job at hand is one of the many pitfalls of moving. Make sure that you always have in mind what the situation asks for. Always be prepared.
Also, the number one rule in the rain is: Watch your step! The main culprits for moving injuries in the rain are slick steps and wet driveways with plenty of leaves and puddles. Make sure that you always assess your surroundings and identify potential hazards. Make several passes if need be, the important thing is that there are no surprises. If you spot something that you think might be an issue, deal with it straight away, don’t let it actually become an issue!
While the people involved are what is most important, you will also want to take additional precautions with your items, as well. There are procedures that you may want to follow, depending on the items in question.
How to protect your belongings?
For the most part, Brooklyn local movers can handle the protection of your items, even when it is raining but you may wish to be extra safe. Here is how you can protect your items:
- Furniture and appliances can get warped and the wood can get moldy, metal can get rusty. Have some wrapping handy if your movers ask for it, they will know how to utilize it best. Anything that does not soak water in extreme amounts is handy. No heavy rugs or blankets, as they might increase the weight considerably, once soaked.
- Clothing needs to be in boxes, at all times. There is no other way that you can safely transport them and your movers may even refuse to move clothing that is in garbage bags. Make sure that every piece of clothing is snug within a moving box! If you don’t have proper moving supplies, order some from your professional moving company.
- Mattresses need to be either in the mattress carton or safely zipped within a matters cover. This will provide adequate protection for the rain. You may also wish to have some additional wrapping in the case of really heavy precipitation.
- Art can never go into anything that is plastic. If you have them in plastic bags, pull them out and repack them. Plastic invites condensation and moisture, especially in the rainy period. Make sure that all of your items are safely inside cartons or crates. The best way to pack these is by using acid-free paper.
Should you use cardboard boxes for moving while raining in NYC?
When it comes to cardboard, you may think that it and rain simply do not go along. While this is actually true, you may be surprised at how durable the cardboard is. You don’t need to wrap everything in plastic, especially if the moving truck is close by and they don’t need to be in the rain for extended periods of time. Make sure to properly tape them and not to have any gaping holes anywhere and you should be fine.
You can cover some of the boxes with plastic but do note that it will be slippery in the wet conditions. It may even cause an injury so do so only if you really need to.
All in all, it depends on the amount of rainfall. If it is really pouring, you may want to wait a bit, rather than wrap the boxes with something else. Rainstorms are usually fierce but they do not last long in their full potential. If you wait for the worst to pass, your cardboard boxes are more than capable of transporting your items in all but the heaviest rainfall.
Don’t forget to protect your floors when moving while raining in NYC
Finally, with rainy weather, you need to be mindful of the floors. They accumulate water and mud like it’s nobody’s business and you will need to clean that up. Movers, for their part, usually bring something to cover the areas of the floor where they will be moving but you can enhance that.
Make sure that there is plenty of open space for your movers to put their flooring protection. Do not put your own blankets or towels on the floor as those can potentially be hazardous. No one can see their feet while they are carrying a lot of boxes and furniture and it is best if they don’t have to.
If you don’t want to wait for your movers to come in and position their floor protection, you can proactively create a suitable working environment. Make sure that everything that you put down is not slippery and that it cannot move when trod upon. Avoid nylon or any plastic, as that can potentially cause an injury.